Saturday, May 15, 2010

Where are you coming from?

Last year we had a guest cancel their trip to Yucatan because they were afraid to come because of the crime. I don't think they had done any research but I understood their mindset and I refunded their deposit. Now when people ask me if they will be safe in Mexico it makes me angry. Not at them but at the media in the US. I live in a safer place than my brothers in Dallas and Nashville. Josh's family in San Diego live in one of Americas safest cities but the crime rates per capita are higher there than in Merida. I wonder if all my friends in NY know they live in one of America's safest cities? And America's 2nd safest city is on the Mexican border. Go figure.

Statistics for US cities with populations over 500,000.

Safest 10:
1 San Jose, CA
2 El Paso, TX
3 Honolulu, HI
4 Austin, TX
5 New York, NY
6 Louisville, KY
7 San Diego, CA
8 San Antonio, TX
9 San Francisco, CA
10 Fort Worth, TX


Most Dangerous 10:
1 Detroit, MI
2 Washington, DC
3 Baltimore, MD
4 Memphis, TN
5 Dallas, TX
6 Philadelphia, PA
7 Columbus, OH
8 Nashville, TN
9 Houston, TX
10 Phoenix, AZ

No comments:

Post a Comment